How to Enter
The 2016 PROSE Awards Call for Entries is now online! Entry deadline for this, the 40th year of the PROSE competition, will be Monday, November 2. Click here to download the Call for Entries.
Letter from the Chairman
Dear PSP, AAP and AAUP Members,
Once again that time of year is upon us—when publishers from across the country compete for 60 prizes, including the prestigious R.R. Hawkins Award, presented by the Professional and Scholarly Publishing (PSP) Division of the Association of American Publishers (AAP). As a member of the PSP Executive Council and Chairman of the American Publishers Awards for Professional and Scholarly Excellence (the PROSE Awards), I invite you to submit your outstanding professional or scholarly work for the 2016 Awards.
Last year, for the seventh year running, the PROSE Awards broke its submissions record with 540 entries from PSP, AAP and Association of American University Presses (AAUP) member companies. The 2015 PROSE program featured increased social media presence through Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, including a live Twitter feed at the Awards Luncheon; the creation of new, dynamic multimedia presentations for the Luncheon ceremony; and the live webcast of the PROSE Awards Luncheon from Washington, DC, drawing viewers from across the globe.
Now celebrating its 40th year, PROSE is building on its reputation as the premier professional and scholarly awards program in the U.S. This year, PROSE will continue to increase its strong social media presence by engaging Facebook and Twitter followers with interactive contests and prizes, and to generate more promotion and publicity for participants and winners pre- and post-Awards. The 2016 Awards Luncheon will feature the debut of another new, specially produced film; more multimedia presentations; and, again, the ceremony will be webcast live and feature a Twitter feed so that publishers at the Awards Luncheon and those watching via webcast can experience our dynamic ceremony and hear the announcement of the 2016 winners in real time. And don’t forget – the winner of the R.R. Hawkins Award, the top PROSE prize, will take home $10,000.
PROSE highly encourages publishers to submit their book cover art with their entries for use in multimedia presentations. Again, these presentations will debut at the Awards Luncheon and by webcast, and PROSE will post these presentations online at www.proseawards.com and on YouTube, which means invaluable exposure for submitting publishers. The 2016 PROSE Awards also offer publishers an increased chance of winning a prize: there are no limits on the number of submissions per publisher in any category and there are more categories than ever before. The Awards Committee strongly encourages publishers to provide more information about their submissions by including a 250-word description of their entry and additional materials in the form of published reviews; reader reports; and/or editor, publisher or writer endorsements. These materials help immensely in the judging process.
Further details on judging criteria and eligibility rules, as well as the entry form, can be found in the Call for Entries. Please contact the PSP Division at 212.255.0326 with any additional questions.
I sincerely hope that you will answer the call by submitting your most exceptional works for consideration for the 2016 PROSE Awards.
John A. Jenkins
President Emeritus, CQ Press
Chairman, 2016 PROSE Awards
Highlights of the 2016 Awards
- Author of the R.R. Hawkins Award-winning work receives $10,000 cash prize
- 60 available awards – more than ever before
- 5 "best of" awards chosen from 54 book, reference, journal and eproduct categories
- 46 book subject categories for which traditional print, electronic publications and print/electronic packages are eligible
- 6 electronic product awards
- 2 journals awards for which electronic journals are eligible
- No maximum limit to submissions per publisher in any category
- Awards seals available for winners in sticker and electronic format to promote their win
- Judges tweeting live from inside the judging deliberations room
- Dynamic awards ceremony featuring the premiere of another new film created specially for the 2016 PROSE Awards; and the Hawkins winner speech
- Live webcast of the 2016 Awards Luncheon featuring a Twitter feed so that the audience at the ceremony and those watching via webcast from around the world can experience the vibrant ceremony and the announcement of the winners in real time
- Multimedia presentations on 2016 entries and winners, and videos of the entire luncheon ceremony, including the Hawkins winner speech, to be posted on www.proseawards.com and on YouTube, offering increased and invaluable exposure to entry titles and presses
Call for Entries
The PROSE Awards recognize books, reference works, journals and electronic products that best exemplify a sound contribution to professional and scholarly publishing, maintaining both the highest editorial standards and the highest standards of design and production consistent with the objectives of the project.
The Call for Entries (click here to download)
provides instructions on what to enter and how to enter the 2015 PROSE Awards including:
- List of Award Categories
- Rules for Eligibility
- Entry Guidelines
- Required Entry Information
- Entry Form